Friday, March 13, 2009

PINK SATURDAY

Today of course is PINK SATURDAY.This
week as always we are hosted by our
gracious hostess M.Beverly @
http://howsweetthesound.typepad.com/my_weblog/
Last week just as I had posted my Pink Saturday,as I
went into the family room,there she was...in her finest
PINK.So instantly I had this weeks post.I am wondering
how many saw her too.How many others will post about
her also.We shall see now.
Isn't she just lovely?








Charter boat captain Erik Rue, 42,


photographed the animal, which is


actually an albino, when he began


studying it after the mammal first


surfaced in Lake Calcasieu, an


inland saltwater estuary, north


of the Gulf of Mexico in southwestern


USA.
Capt Rue originally saw the dolphin,


which also has reddish eyes, swimming


with a pod of four other dolphins, with


one appearing to be its mother which


never left its side.
He said: "I just happened to see a


little pod of dolphins, and I noticed


one that was a little lighter.
"It was absolutely stunningly pink.
"I had never seen anything like it.


It's the same color throughout the


whole body and it looks like it just


came out of a paint booth.
"The dolphin appears to be healthy


and normal other than its coloration,


which is quite beautiful and stunningly


pink.
"The mammal is entirely pink from tip


to tail and has reddish eyes indicating


its albinism. The skin appears smooth,


glossy pink and without flaws.
"I have personally spotted the pink do


lphin 40 to 50 times in the time since


the original sighting as it has apparently


taken up residence with its family in the


Calcasieu ship channel.
"As time has passed the young mammal


has grown and sometimes ventures away


from its mother to feed and play but


always remains in the vicinity of the


pod.
"Surprisingly, it does not appear to be


drastically affected by the environment


or sunlight as might be expected


considering its condition, although


it tends to remain below the surface


a little more than the others in the pod."
Regina Asmutis-Silvia, senior biologist


with the Whale and Dolphin Conservation


Society, said: "I have never seen a


dolphin coloured in this way in all my


career.
"It is a truly beautiful dolphin but


people should be careful, as with


any dolphins, to respect it - observe


from a distance, limit their time


watching, don't chase or harass it
"While this animal looks pink, it is



an albino which you can notice in


the pink eyes.
"Albinism is a genetic trait and it


unclear as to the type of albinism


this animal inherited."
A close relation of dolphins, the


Amazon River Botos, called pink


dolphins, live in South America


in the Amazon.


Thank you so very much for


dropping by


now,lets grab a link and go see


ALL the others....

28 comments:

Susan said...

I think I saw maybe one post last weekend...maybe... but I am not sure...but it sure is pretty pink! Happy Pink Saturday ~ Susan

Keetha said...

I've never HEARD of such a thing!!!! I can hardly believe my eyes.

You don't suppose seeing pink dolphins is the equivalent of seeing pink elephants, do you??? ;-)

Really Rainey said...

That is so incredibly amazing... What a great post!

*Still giggling about the pink elephant comment Keetha made*

*Rainey

momma said...

how beautiful!

Angela said...

I'm pretty sure I did see that on someone's blog. But it is amazing that God would make a pink dolphin!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Angela

marty39 said...

Oh that's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. How unusual. Hugs, Marty

Diane @ Four Paws and Co said...

This is awesome Ann! I hadn't seen it before. ♥ Diane

xinex said...

Wow! Pretty! I have never seen a pink dolphin. I had no idea they even exist...Christine

Jill said...

ANN I saw this last weekend and I thought someone photoshopped it.. how cool is this. I am so glad you posted the actual story behind it. I love dolphins. Just last week my girls and I went to the beach and saw a huge family of dolphins playing by the shore. It was if they were trying to get our attention..
have a great weekend!

Nana said...

I think that dolphin is adorable. I hope it can survive for a long time.

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

He really looks like someone has painted him! How incredible! I bet that is a sight to see. I cannot imagine the shock of seeing him for the first time. Thanks for sharing this Ann. laurie

Shirley said...

Wow! I hadn't seen this before. You have a very original and unique post for this week.

Mimi said...

What a wonderful blog and just great Pink Saturday sharing. Thanks so much. This is the one day of the week when I get to totally indulge my ♥ for pink!

I think I saw this last week, or maybe the week before. Not sure if I truly believe it, though.

TRES BELLE said...

So remarkable...I love not only seeing pink but having a history lesson as well. Great post.

Happy Pink Saturday.

Kris

Tomarie said...

How cool is this!! Never would have thunk it! :-) L~

Claudia said...

I've seen this pink dolphin - unbelievable! I love dolphins anyway, but this one is truly magical! Happy Pink Saturday!

Really Rainey said...

Ann... Thank you so much for the heartfelt comment you left on my post. That was so nice of you to say.

Your Friend
Really Rainey {hug}

And just a coincidence perhaps... but we both posted dolphin pix on our blogs yesterday...
More like "two great minds thin alike" eh?

Chandy said...

Wow, that is awesome! Such pink beauty! I love the fact that the dolpin is healthy. Happy Saturday!

Riet said...

That is amazing Ann. Thank you for visiting and compliments about my picture. And DH keeps an eye on me. LOL just kidding

Riet said...

Hi Anm. Can I pass this new award on to you. This one is about inspiration and you were the first one to inspire me in blogland. Can you pick it up from my blog

jennifer said...

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that I have gone private for a short time. It seems that my blog was HACKED. I am not sending out invites until I know exactly what to do. Just wanted to let you know that you are not being excluded from Dust Bunny Hostage :) "I'll be back!"

EnglishCottageRose said...

I can only say beautiful! Just beautiful! Happy Pink Saturday, Char
I post under the name of someplace in thyme, and not english cottage rose. I don't seem to be able to change that.

Shelia said...

This is truly amazing! I've never of a pink dolphin! She is a pretty one!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Nancy @ La Chambre Rose said...

Happy Pink Saturday! I always wanted a dolphin for a pet when I was young. Imagine, a pink one.

Deb said...

Ann

Been invited to play a game...thought you might want to join...stop by for instructions

debbie said...

DEAR ANN.
I SAW A PICTURE LAST WEEK END BUT I LOVE YOUR INFORMING POST. I HAD NEVER HEARD THIS ABOUT DOLPHINS.
WHAT A TREASURE....I THINK MAYBE THEY COULD STUDY THE HABITS AND GENETICS AND WHAT BROUGHT THIS DOLPHIN TO YOUR AREA......AWESOME.
THANK YOU FOR SHARING
BLESSINGS
debbie

Linda said...

Ann, That is such an usual, yet lovely site! To answer your questions, the hutch was originally $89, but marked down to $65! I was so pleased, but let me tell you about the one that got away (at a different GW). I saw a leather Queen Anne style cordovan wing back chair with tufted back and seat and nail head trim around the bottom. Why did I not throw it in my trunk for $60? I must have been crazy, because I saw it there twice! He who hesitates.....!!! Linda

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

That was a very informative post. Thank you for sharing. My husband is always sending me these kinds of stories (like my striped icebergs). I'll be the one showing him this. :)