Friday, November 14, 2008

HOW TO GIVE A ROOSTER A BUBBLE BATH,OR...WHO WOULD WANT TO....





WHEN I WAS A LITTLE BABY ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF OLD. PLAYING OUTSIDE,ONE OF MY UNCLES ROOSTERS PULLED ME UNDER THE HOUSE. OR,I PROBABLY FOLLOWED HIM UNDER THERE.HE SPURRED MY FACE PROBABLY 8 OR 9 TIMES.THE SCARS ARE STILL THERE.THEY JUST LOOK LIKE DIMPLES.AW--------MOM SAID THAT NIGHT THEY HAD CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS FOR SUPPER.
I GUESS BECAUSE I WAS SO LITTLE I DON'T REMEMBER,THEREFORE I'VE NEVER BEEN AFRAID OF ROOSTERS.AS A LITTLE GIRL WE HAD CHICKENS RUNNING AROUND THE YARD.THEY WERE MY CHILDREN.I TALKED TO THEM AND FUSSED AT THEM.I WAS THE LAST CHILD,BOTH MY SISTERS WERE GONE,SO I WAS ALL ALONE.
I REMEMBER STILL TODAY,AND I STILL FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.ONE OF OUR ROOSTERS WAS ON TOP OF A HEN.SHE WAS SQUAWKING UP A STORM,SO I KICKED HIM OFF OF HER.I WAS PROBABLY 5 YRS OLD.I MUST HAVE HIT HIM IN A TENDER SPOT,I CRIPPLED HIM FOR LIFE.EVERY TIME I SAW HIM I FELT SO BAD. STILL DO.

BUT,ON WITH MY STORY,LATER I WAS 11 YRS OLD BY NOW.I GOT A BLUE DYED CHICKEN FOR EASTER.HE OF COURSE TURNED OUT TO BE A ROOSTER,THEY ALL ARE.I NAMED HIM ROO-ROO.
HE WAS A DOLL.HE FOLLOWED ME EVERY WHERE.HE WOULD TAKE HIS HEAD AND RUB IT AGAINST ME,THIS MEANT HE WANTED TO BE PETTED.I LOVED HIM SO MUCH.

AS LUCK WOULD HAVE IT,WE HAD TO MOVE.I HAD TO GIVE ROO-ROO TO A NEIGHBOR,THEY PROBABLY HAD CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS FOR SUPPER THAT NIGHT.
I SWORE IF I EVER HAD ANY LAND I WOULD GET ANOTHER ROOSTER.WELL,YOU KNOW WHAT I AM GOING TO SAY NEXT....
WE MOVED OUT HERE,IN THE COUNTRY 2 YRS AGO.SHORTLY AFTER WAS EASTER...I FOUND SOME DYED CHICKS AT THE NEAR BY FLEA MARKET.THE ONE I PICKED WAS PURPLE.I COULD SEE SOME FEATHERS COMING THROUGH AND HE WAS GOING TO BE A WHITE LEGGING,LIKE ROO-ROO #1.

I PAID $5.00 FOR HIM AND WE LEFT.ON THE WAY HOME.HE WAS DIRTY AND HAD POO-POO ALL OVER HIM.I THOUGHT "WHAT HAVE I DONE,OH ME".I PICKED UP MY BOTTLE OF WATER TO TAKE A DRINK AND THAT LITTLE CRITTER ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK.HE WAS SO THIRSTY.IT WAS PROBABLY 95 DEGREES AND YOU KNOW THOSE PEOPLE HADN'T WATERED THOSE CHICKS ALL DAY.I HAD NOTHING BUT THE LID OF THE BOTTLE TO GIVE HIM WATER.TO THIS DAY HE STILL LIKES TO DRINK WHATEVER I'M DRINKING OUT OF THE LID OF THE BOTTLE.

WELL OF COURSE WHEN HE STARTED LAPPING UP THAT WATER SO DESPERATELY,I FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS STINKY LITTLE CRITTER.
AFTER HE DRANK HIS FEEL,THE AIR-CONDITIONER IN THE CAR WAS COLD------SO I STUCK HIM INDER MY SHIRT(I CAN BATHE TOO,YA KNOW,HA)TO KEEP HIM WARM,THERE,HE WENT TO SLEEP.WHEN WE GOT HOME I GOT SOME BABY SHAMPOO(NO MORE TEARS.OF COURSE)AND GAVE HIM HIS FIRST BUBBLE BATH.

BEING A BABY,HE THINKS THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS...ALL ROOSTERS TAKE BUBBLE BATHS,DON'T THEY?EACH WEEK SINCE THEN WE TAKE A BUBBLE BATH,(NOT TOGETHER),EXCEPT NOW WE USE LAVENDER AND CHAMOMILE BUBBLE BATH.AGAIN,NO MORE TEARS.AND YES,HE HAS A RUBBER DUCKY,THAT I PUT BY HIM JUST TO BE SILLY.
WE HAD SO MUCH TROUBLE FINDING SOMEONE TO PUT IN A FENCE,WHILE WE WERE TRYING TO LOCATE SOMEONE,ROO GREW UP.HE WORE DIAPERS,SHOWN IN PICS UNTIL YES HE POTTY TRAINED HIMSELF.HE HAS GONE OUTSIDE A LITTLE,BUT HE DOESN'T LIKE IT.IT'S HOT,IT'S COLD,AND HE REALLY DOESN'T LIKE TO GET HIS FEET DIRTY.

AND YES,HE IS PAPER TRAINED.WHILE ATTEMPTING TO PAPER TRAIN THE DOG,ROO TRAINED TO IT.THE DOG DIDN'T BUT ROO DID.WHO KNEW??????????
HE IS SO LOVABLE AND SWEET.I DON'T REMEMBER ROO ROO #1 BEING THIS LOVABLE.BUT THAT WAS ALONG TIME AGO.EVERYWHERE I GO,I HAVE A SHADOW.AND BACK WHEN I WAS SO SICK,HE WOULD STAND AND WATCH ME WITH SUCH CONCERN AND LOVE IN HIS EYES.
ONE DAY I FELL,SOME REMEMBER THAT.HUBBY HAD LEFT THE LADDER OUT,OF COURSE,I TRIPPED OVER IT.I HIT HARD.ROO RAN AS FAST AS HE COULD AND STOOD BY ME PACING AND LOOKING SO INTENT LIKE"MOM,I WANT TO PICK YOU UP,BUT I HAVE NO ARMS".
PEOPLE ADORE HIM.AT FIRST,THEY ARE LIKE,YOU HAVE A ROOSTER IN YOUR HOUSE?SOON IT'S LIKE HE STARTS CHARMING THEM.SOON,THEY PET HIM,A FEW SMELL HIM,YEP,HE USUALLY SMELLS BETTER THAN ME.OUR CARPET CLEANING MAN ACTUALLY HAD A DISPUTE WITH HIS WIFE BECAUSE HE WANTED A ROOSTER SO BADLY.HE SAID"I WOULD NEVER HAVE BELIEVED A ROOSTER WOULD ACT THIS WAY,IF I HADN'T SEEN IT MYSELF."
AT THE VETS,WELL,THAT WAS HILARIOUS.I GUESS HE'D NEVER SEEN "A TRAINED ROOSTER"AS HE CALLED HIM.HE WALKS WITH YOU.HE STOPS WHEN I HOLD MY ARMS UP.WHY?I DON'T KNOW,HE JUST ALWAYS HAS.HE MINDS TO A CERTAIN DEGREE.HE SHAKES HIS HEAD NO,WHEN ASKS A QUESTION EVEN IF HE MEANS YES.
THE VET WAS SO CUTE,HE WAS TRYING TO ASK ME HOW DOES A ROOSTER DO WITHOUT HENS?HE COULDN'T FIND A NICE WAY TO SAY IT.HIS RIGHT ARM WAS GOING AROUND AND AROUND LIKE A LITTLE WINDMILL AND ALL HE COULD GET OUT OF HIS MOUTH WAS,"HOW DOES HE"HOW DOES HE"?I SAID HE HAS STUFFED ANIMALS,LOTS OF THEM.IT WAS ALL I COULD DO TO SEE THIS VERY PROFESSIONAL MAN TRYING SO HARD TO ASK ME ABOUT MY ROOSTERS LOVE LIFE.....WITHOUT LAUGHING.
WELL,I GONE ON ENOUGH,I HOPE YOU ENJOY MY STORY AND THE PICS OF MY LITTLE FEATHERED BOY....ANN P.S.THE PIC OF HIM LOVING WITH ME IS AN AWFUL PIC OF ME,I TOOK IT MYSELF,AND THOSE ARE ALWAYS AWFUL.BUT I HAVE TO CAPTURE THE MOMENTS.WE DO THIS AT LEAST TWICE A DAY-JUST LOVE....

7 comments:

laurie said...

Oh Ann, I LOVED this story. You are an incredible lady! Such a well-written account of your love of Roo-Roo. Now, I love him too, and we've never even met. Of course, I love you too, and we've never even met. laurie

Glenda said...

You reminded me of something I haven't thought about in years. When Susan was about three years old I bought her an Easter duck at J J Newberrys (a local dime/ department store). He followed her around like a puppy dog. We lived in an apartment and when he started to get pretty big we gave him to the girl's(that lived across from us) Grandmother that lived in the country and had a pond. That little duck was missed for quite some time, but deserved a home with a pond in the country.
Susan may not even remember him, but I sure do.

Happy To Be said...

Ann what a GREAT love story girl...I had a duck I won at a carvial when I was 10 at a dime tossed..so I named it LUCKY DUCKY and it woud follow me all over the yard and get so excited when it seen me..It love Skippy dog food..and I had that duck until he died of old age..Thanks for sharing your ROO story...hugs and smiles Gloria

lvroftiques said...

Ya know Ann I would have never thought a rooster could be so loving! You have opened my eyes to birds in a way that virtually no one else has. I love your stories about your birds!! Vanna

Tomarie said...

Awwww...I loved reading about Roo-Roo. Anniepoo, you're a compelling writer! I'm like Vanna, I honestly never knew they could be so loving. I've always been afraid of birds (go figure!), but I bet Roo would win me over! LOL! Love ya!

Diane said...

I love this story! I just found your blog link on Lynne's blog & I'm so happy that I did. :0} Diane

twizzis said...

Oh my gosh, I'm laughing and crying at the same time. He's got clothing (diapers), play dolls, a doctor and a mama that just loves him. Diane hit it head on...a love story. Movie material...maybe??!!!